Tuesday 8 April 2014

The People Who Matter

I just have spent a whole week back with my best friend and her family at someplace near Frankfurt where I used to live for a long time. And this was probably the best thing I could have ever done as I feel so much more recovered now and by saying that I have the best "best friend" on earth, I mean it. I believe it is really hard for friends to react to a bad medical conditions of a friend, or at least in a way the person wants to be treated even though he or she doesn't know it him-/herself. This is the point where I realized she somehow must know me better than I do, and I'm now more than ever very thankful to have her in my life as well as her family. For the first time since my diagnosis (I know it has only has been like one and a half month, still feels like forever) my UC didn't determine how I live, but I determined how I want to live with it. Which obviously was a big step forward for me as I couldn't imagine how I could every possibly be living a normal life. But I do. And she somehow showed me how just by having me with her in her normal life, no time for hiding under the sheets or not going out in the evening which I have been doing a lot lately. So let me tell you something, you are by far one of the best things that has ever happened to me in my life (Yes, I actually believe I may say it that way because we have been friends for 15 years and well even though I'm only 18 right now I believe that 15 years will always be a period worth remembering in your life, even when you're 90, won't it eh?). 




I also feel like I am now more capable to understand the way other friends and especially my family are trying to help me. They simply make me aware of the fact that life goes on, no matter what. This never seemed like a big help to me as I felt completely excluded from normal life in the beginning or at least didn't feel like I wanted to be in it any longer. I had so much fun the last week and right now I could slap myself in the face for my thoughts in the beginning. I don't simply want to survive (which I will anyway being a dutifully person - taking my medicines every day), but to live. And I am so thankful for the people being there, right by my side even though I wasn't always able to see that. 

You guys are the people who matter xx

1 comment:

  1. Happy you have nice people with you and by the way I love the way you write, you are very talented girl! Alas you living in Europe, I would have been lucky to have you in my fundraisingteam for the 5k run comin up in Madison!

    ReplyDelete