Thursday 5 June 2014

How to... Fight a Flare?


Ok. So I know a lot of people from the IBD family will disagree with this but I believe you can fight a flare when it is upcoming or in a really early and not so severe state with a lot of things other than medication. Here are some of the things I already discovered to be very helpful, and other things that I hope will work (I'm going to try them anyway, because what do I have to lose, eh?) and tell you about the (hopeful) positive effect they have: 

1) Diet. Well this should certainly not be new to anyone from the IBD family as we even have food that makes us really sick when we are in remission. And it gets worse during a flare. Like a hell worse. If you have been reading this blog for a little while you might know that I didn't manage the 21 Day TCJF Challenge which included no dairy, no gluten and no sugar for 21 days. Well, I'm trying something right now which is pretty close to this. Since Sunday, I'm eating lactose-free and gluten-free. In addition, I try to have it as fluid or with as many fluids as possible, the more fluid it is the less work for my gut, at least that's what I am thinking. And I already felt a difference as I didn't feel as upset after having food as I had before. Eating now takes less energy from me which makes me have more spoons for other things! 

Amaranth-Porridge with Pomegranate, Banana and Flax
Lactose-free Vanilla Yoghurt with Corn Cereals
and homegrown Wood Strawberries 

2.) Relax. Sometimes life rushes by. Well not sometimes, actually that's most of the time. You don't have to make everybody around you stop living but you definitely don't have to pressure yourself into coping with their pace. This is ridiculous and exhausting and most of the time not even worth it -  so take your time, take time out from daily life from time to time and don't go through life, grow through life. You are so strong, even when you're doing everything at snail pace. This brings me to the next point...

3.) Be kind to yourself. Sounds easier than it is, I know. But stressing yourself brings you nowhere. As I said, take a time-out. Treat yourself not only with enough sleep and a nap (you won't have enough of that anyway, will you #spoonieproblems) but with little somethings. Today this was for me to have a bath. It might also be reading a book for an hour even though you have tons of other stuff you have to finish. Do whatever makes you happy and don't care for the others, your journey is not for them, it's only for you. 

4). Still. You should try and be kind to everybody. And I know that this is also hard, but whenever you can and have the energy (and sometimes the balls) just smile and try not to be too depressed around others. It is really hard for friends to cope with us I guess and it is even harder for them when we're always grumpy and simply not a nice person because we are in permanent pain. Still we also should remember to be kind to everybody we meet, as he or she might as well have a medical condition or other problems. I believe everybody does, people are just really good at hiding this. You wanna keep the friends you have (because this disease probably already made you figure out who of them are the right ones) and therefore you should try and be at least sometimes nice to them. Going through a flare is probably so much harder without them, even if they can't physically relieve the symptoms.

5.) Always remember this is going to end one day and that you will be fine whatever happens. Keep your head up and don't let this define you, let it rather to change you for the better, I'm sure you are a strong fighting person, sick or not. Sometimes you might feel all alone, on your own which is mostly when depression hits in very hard. But also remember you are not alone, there are always people who care a lot for you and who love you very much. 

Referring to #2 of that list, I'll Relax. Now. Immediately. I'll be good to myself and have enough sleep this night, at least I'm trying my best, my body needs to do the rest. Goodnight IBD family and all the rest of you xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment